Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Candy! Candy! Candy! Bacon...

Bacon and chocolate is all over the place. Even Vosges has something along these lines. I like that about America. In Germany, where I'm from, consumers are much narrower-minded. Huh?!? Bacon and chocolate, turkey and cranberry sauce, peanut butter and jelly, ham and pineapple? I'm sure, tastes have evolved a bit in the meanwhile - but I remember as if it had happened 30 years ago - 30 years ago we made fun of Americans and their strange flavor combinations. Sweet AND savory? Hello-oh! I have a little specialty chocolate company. Today I met with the owner of a funky candy shop in the heart of Austin, Texas - Big Top Candy. We're going to create some crazy stuff - "the hottest chocolate in the world" is one of our planned items. We'll have to restrict the sales to 5 ounces per person/day. And we'll have to ID our customers. And they'll have to sign a release form. And we'll have a nurse standing by. And, yes, we count on a lot of brave frat boys trying to impress their dates. Don't inhale in front of the counter display! I'll keep you posted...

No comments: