Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Chef Keem's Big Bang #1 "Tres Leches Coconut Macaroons"

One of my most successful specialty food products over the last 5-6 years has been my "Original Tres Leches Coconut Macaroon". Weighing in at around 385 calories per 3.5 oz cookie, these sinful treats come with a price tag attached that might say "run an extra mile, tomorrow!". However, as I tell my farmers market customers - my Agasweet healthy sweetener is "food for the body", my Tres Leches Coconut Macs are "food for the soul"! Gotta have balance, baby. So, here's my first big bang for this new blog o' mine: I'm going to reveal my "secret recipe" for the very best coconut macaroon you've ever had. My dear friend, Margaret Schaut, has become the latest groupie of my macaroon fan club, and I sent her the recipe so she can make them for herself whenever she feels the urge. That gave me the idea of sharing my "secret" with the world, before I say my last good-bye. I certainly wouldn't want to take it with me into my grave, and leave you poor souls without my legendary pastry until I return for another run - who-knows-when. (Not so) Secret Recipe for Chef Keem's Original Tres Leches Coconut Macaroons 2 - 14 oz packs of sweetened coconut flakes 1 - 14 oz can of condensed milk 2 tablespoons of sour cream ("secret ingredient") 2 tablespoons of heavy cream 1 teaspoon of Mexican vanilla Combine in mixer (paddle) or by hand with a spatula until well blended. Use any size ice cream scoop to make half spheres on a parchment-lined baking sheet, 1 inch apart. Bake at a moderate (325 degrees F) temperature on the middle rack in the oven, until you see dark brown tips on the top of light brown macaroons, about 10 minutes. They should be "underbaked" in the center - there's no ingredient that needs to be fully cooked. These things are incredibly good the way they are, but if you want to go overboard - and I think you should - dip them in dark chocolate. The best way to do this is with a good-quality dipping chocolate. You will find relevant information on this and some other great chocolate ideas on my Squidoo lens "Molded Chocolates".

3 comments:

MSchaut said...

This is SO GOOD it should be one of the major food groups!

Its worth kidnapping the chef for, just so he can make them by the dozens!

Anonymous said...

Ahh schucks! Just when I was trying to be a good girl (I know Chef...good girls are no fun :-) so I'll just have to try these, at least in moderation.

Anonymous said...

Ooooo! Those Tres Leches Coconut Macaroons look sooooo good!

I am sure that they have 0 calories and of course no cholesterol, (at least when made in Vermont.) I can hardly wait to try some. Yum, Yum!